Skip to main content

Comparison: CALABAR IS CROSS RIVER BUT CROSS RIVER IS NOT CALABAR Mc Martiki vent her anger.

Facebook: MaryColette Martiki

Capital of a state is always important but when the concentration of governance and development is always situated there alone then it gets some region walloped.

Read what this Ogoja creative writer and social media fanatics has to say about Calabar, Akwa Ibom, Ogoja et'al.

"Have you been to anywhere in Cross River State apart from Calabar?
Do you know or have you heard of certain places called Ogoja, Ikom, Obudu, Boki or Bekwarra.

All through my service year, just like many indigenes of northern Cross River, I was forced to repeatedly introduce myself and end by reenforcing that I am a Cross Riverian yet I am not a Calabar girl.

 In most cases after I have tried to describe Ogoja, I end up using the cheap point of "the people trying to create a state" and in that instant, they know where I am from.

 As pathetic as it sounds, that's the only way I can make someone remember my place. I guess it's easier for an Ikom or Etung indigene to use "The Agbokim waterfalls," for a Boki person to use "The drill ranch" and and Obudu or Obanlikwu native to use "The Cattle Ranch."
Every good thing worth mentioning ends in Calabar.

Don't get me wrong, I do not hope to compare a mere town to the state capital but it won't stop me from venting my frustration at the devastating difference of both places.

I once jokingly told a friend that if it was possible for Agbokim Waterfalls and Obudu Cattle Ranch to be relocated, they'll probably be somewhere in Calabar by now.

While serving, I went for a short visit to Ikot Ekpene. As it is common for me to make comparisons between my state and everywhere I go. In my eyes Ikot Ekpene, Oron and Eket was to be compared with Ogoja, Obudu and Ikom. To my disappointment, Ikot Ekpene was nothing like my Ogoja.

 Don't give me the excuse of Akwa Ibom being an oil producing state with billions of allocations and blah blah blah. The Ikot Ekpene I saw was not as glamours as Uyo yet it was not in a pitiful state and could not be seen or called a village. Unlike my Ogoja that struggles between it's village and town status.

If every development in the state remains in Calabar, I fear that soon Calabar will become all that we have as Cross River State."

Spread developments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Yala woman, Mrs Philomena is seeking for justice for the alleged murder of her daughter Joy Odama by one Alhaji Usman Adamu.

Mrs Philomena has written a petition to the Sen President, Saraki, IGP, Dogara, the speaker HoR. Read her letter: A CALL FOR JUSTICE FOR THE MURDER OF MY DAUGHTER, JOY ODAMA BY ALHAJI USMAN ADAMU. My name is Mrs Philomena ODAMA. I am a native of Yala LGA in Cross River State. I am resident at old Karmo village in Abuja. Joy Odama is my first daughter. She is a 200 level undergraduate of Mass Communications at the Cross River State University; who just returned for Christmas holidays and met her untimely death. On the 18th Dec, 2016, one Elizabeth from Ogoja LGA, Cross River State who is my daughters friend visited us and told Joy to accompany her to see one Alhaji Usman Adamu who she said was a philanthropist that gives scholarship to young students. She said the Alhaji lives in the same neighborhood, precisely at Ibro Quarters, Old Karmo-Abuja. Knowing Elizabeth as a long time friend and without any suspicion, she innocently followed her to the said Alhaji's house...

Letter to the VC University of Calabar

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar, PMB 1115, Eta Agbo Road, Calabar Calabar, Cross River Nigeria. 3rd January 2017. Sir A CALL FOR MENTAL EXAMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR TEACHING STAFF. Information at my disposal is in the affirmative that one Mr Joseph Odok is an employee of the university of Calabar were you presently oversea in  your capacity as the Vice Chancellor of the prestigious university. It is a good official practice for organization and government parastatal to conduct periodic fitness and medical checkup on her employees as they are ambassadors of the organization, their public conduct goes a long way to showcase the stuff the organization is made of. More worrisome is the fact that yours is a citadel of learning, whose responsibility is basically to educate and enlighten the younger generation and graduate them whenever they are found worthy in learning and in character, my fear then is how possible it is for persons who are not worthy both in lear...

Autopsy revealed Joy Odama died of excess cocaine poison.

Justice for Joy Odama gets boast as autopsy reports she died of acute cocaine poison.  The said Alhaji Adamu Usman has not been arrested after police claimed he's on the run. He showed up on the day the IG invited the family of Odama and others who have indicated interest on the case.  The member of the state house of  assembly Hon Regina Ayaogu has taken up the case in the lower​ chamber, unlike the House of Representatives member, Hon. Jarigbe Agom but we are yet to hear from Sen Rose Oko, representing the good people of northern Cross River  What the family is asking for is justice and the alleged Alhaji should be made to face the wrath of the law.

An Open Request To The Commissioner For Youths and Sports On The Disbursement of #13million~

THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER FOR YOUTH AND SPORTS, COMR. ASU OKAN: OPEN REQUEST FOR ELUCIDATION ON THE N13 MILLION AND THREE BUSES PROMISED BY GOV. BEN AYADE  AND SEN. GOD’SWILL AKPABIO THAT CULMINATED TO THE SHOOTING OF THREE NIGERIAN STUDENTS BY THE STATE SECURITY APPARATUS ON THE OCCASION OF CROSS RIVER STATE GOLDEN JUBILEE CUM CHILDREN’S DAY CELEBRATION BEING 27th MAY, 2017. Mr. Commissioner Sir, On few occasions prior to your becoming a commissioner and during your screening exercises at the floor of Cross River State House of Assembly, CRSHA, I have had the rarest privilege of joining your numerous well-wishers in extending best wishes and felicitations to you via social media. I have equally contributed my quota in discussing matters that concerned your office on pure and positive grounds. These I have done with pride and enthusiasm towards a youth of my generation; though not my age bracket which is being saddled with the arduous tasks of piloting the youth ministry. Si...

Dr Oko, others react as Redeemers GO bows out.

Many Nigerians have reacted to the exit of the General Overseer of Redeem Church, Pastor Adeboye.   Dr Raphael Ogar Oko who is known by making an intellectual contributions in the National affairs has join voice with other well meaning Nigerians on the exit of Pastor Adeboye as General Overseer of RCCG. "Whose tradition is the basis of retirement of General Overseer of a church? Is that what Jesus taught or Paul's teaching. At this pace, we may soon need the retirement age for heads of families too. If the pastors are retiring, then parents should prepare to retire and anoint one of their sons and daughters as new head. When a religious founder did not establish a clear tradition in the lifetime, this is what you see the followers doing" he said. See other comments.

Reno Omokri: Condemned the call for the arrest of CAN President.

Reno Omokri, former spokesperson to President GoodLuck Jonathan was live on FACEBOOK to respond to the Islamic Council for the arrest of CAN authorities in what they termed as inflammatory comments and statements in the lingering Southern Kaduna manslaughter. Omokri condemned in strong terms by citing the Holy Quran. See photos and comments below: First here!

YALA LGA POLITICS IN FOCUS: A CHRONICLE OF ITS POLITICAL TRAJECTORY

Ogar, Emmanuel Oko For few weeks at this instant, I’ve been thrown down the gauntlet and pommelled by the myriad of reactions as aftermath of one of my recent articles where mega joules of energy was dissipated in a sincere attempt to redirect those feeble minds that had strayed out of the political trajectory of Yala for only those with extrasensory perception (ESP) to decipher. In order not to succumb to such pressure, but up-thrusting against the deluge and political tempest that dangled before my sight in a bid to ridicule and rivet me, without predisposition, I admitted the imperativeness of digging deep into the genesis of the political oligarchy and the exodus of the juggernauts in Yala while taking into cognizance its demagogue.  For a while, I was in the arms of Morpheus, but awakening from that inertia state, I understood as you equally know that history is beautiful and devoid of error— but historians seldom errs. Truly, Yala nation is one of the most populated po...

A MESSAGE TO MY SENATOR: IS SEN. ROSE OKO A SILENT ACHIEVER THAT CANNOT BE RECALLED?

Dear Madam, It would be very ridiculous and an act of ingratitude on my character if I fail to express the full measure of appreciation to the peoples’ senator, Dr. (Mrs.) Rose Oko for obliging me one of my earlier requests of presenting the pathetic murder saga of late miss Joy Odama on the floor of the red chamber of the National Assembly which you meticulously did. I’m deeply touched by the commitment you and your junior colleague have made on this important matter thus far by boasting our dwindling morale. Thank you and be blessed. Borrowing from Mark Anthony’s words at Caesar’s funeral and likewise paraphrasing them inter alia; let me say succinctly that I’ve neither come via this medium to pull to pieces your excellence works nor have I come to pull strings with you; but if possible and necessary pick to pieces matters of representative governance as it’s incidental on the precinct of your office. I’m writing this memo credibly in exercise of my right of speech as a citiz...